Saturday, May 4, 2013

Work in Progress - Aoba Seragaki Cosplay

Hi guys!

I just finished the jacket for my Aoba cosplay and wanted to share a few pictures I have. I did tkae some photos during the project, but we mostly took pictures at the end because my friend needed them for a school project.

This jacket took around 2 months to make, on and off because I was busy with other things.
It is made from spandex (white fabric) and strong coton (blue). I used kodel to make it very puffy and comfortable. I,m far from being a professinal so the finition is very ugly if you look inside... but from the outside I guess it looks good enough.

I don't have a step by step, but here are some pictures I took during the work in progress.


I first began with a pattern I bought where I work. I used a hoodie pattern from Burda. The sizes were pretty decent compared to some other pattern companies so I didn't have much to adjust.

I made the sleeves first since there was more than one color and they were pretty hard to sew. The color pattern wasn't easy either. It took me 4 sleeves to get 2 that looked ok. Spandex is hard to sew with precision.



When I had the sleeves down, I began to make the logo. I finished the other sleeve first but couldn't complete the other one until the logo was finished. It did take more than a week since I don't really know how to use machine embrodery.



Embrodery progress.


Still embrodery...



Finally it was almost done!

  

This is what the cosplay looked like when I was almost done with the logo. I worked on the rest too to make sure I wouldn't be too late (I was supposed to finish it in 3 weeks).



 Almost there! I only missed the buttons (which I needed to cover with vinyl, paint and polish).




Finally it was... almost done. I had forgotten the pockets and stayed up late at night to put them on before the photoshoot, which was the day after.




There! Now it is done! I couldn't get the collar to stay, even with the advices of my collegues. In the end I think it's still fine. I cover the seams when I get the chance to get the jacket back (it is exposed in the store where I work).



I guess this is the most interesting part! We went to take some pictures in a nearby park. It was a very windy afternoon, but also very sunny. We had a lot of fun! My friend was wearing her Sion Astal cosplay.












Yes I praise trees sometimes...



And I fail at kicking... 90 degrees kicks aren't really menacing.





I can't wait to make the boots. The belt, and the shirt have been bought already. What will be left in the end are the contact lenses and the headphones.

I'll post an update when the cosplay is really finished.

*Kinerai*

27 comments:

  1. Hey! I love your cosplay!! :D <3
    Do you have the image of the aoba logo? the brain? I was shearching it and i cant find it ;_;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will probably post updates soon since I finished the boots and everything and whore it at a con recently.
      For the logo I zoomed on one of the pictures of Aoba and printed it out, there are no image of the logo alone that I am aware of :/ It was one of the pictures in the game where Aoba is holding Ren in his arms. You can find it on google images pretty easilly :)

      Delete
  2. This is really cool! I commend you on it. I'm currently making a Noiz cosplay for Halloween! It's definitely not a simple task to make a cosplay by hand. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry I hadn't seen your comment before (somehow it didn't notice me O.o) Noiz is pretty cool, I hope it turned out well :)

      Delete
  3. Can you sell me this coat ? *Q* x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you think it is worth selling XD But the coat is not in the best of conditions right now and I didn't quite know how to sew when I began making it so I would rather offer commissions later on than sell this one >.>

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Okay ^^' It's because I wanted to do this cosplay with a friend but I'm not very good at sewing and I don't how to do it ^^"

      Delete
  4. Ah! Would you mind telling me the pattern number you used? I'm about to start on an Aoba cosplay of my own !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was McCalls M6614. I heavily modified it though... the hood has nothing to do with the one on the pattern XD

      Delete
    2. Ohh, I see !! Thank you anyways c: Now I have a good base lmao

      Delete
  5. Wow you did a great job with that coat
    How did you make it so poofy ?also what kind of cloth did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      To make it super poofy you have to use something called kodel/batting. It is a white and puffy material you put between 2 fabrics to give puffyness.
      I used blue stretchy cotton and white heavy spandex for the outside. You could take any stretchy fabric, as long as it allows you to move freely in the jacket. I used a plain white polyester lining for the inside. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. I was wondering what the fabric was. ^_^ Appreciate the details.

      Delete
  6. this is fantastic! I started make my own coat couple days ago ^^
    Can you tell me where you get these blue buttons and how you put them into coat? ÖwÖ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I made them. I used buttons that you can cover (that I bought at a fabric store) and covered them with vinyl that I later painted blue :)

      Delete
  7. Hi I think your coat gorgeous. I was wondering what kind of buttons did you use and where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used buttons that you can cover and covered them with vinyl. I bought them in the fabric store where I work ^^ But I guess any craft store could sell them.

      Delete
  8. Hello! I just came across your cosplay of Aoba and I think it's a great job! :D
    That is why I want to ask you something.
    I also want to do this cosplay but I don't know hom to sew at all, so I asked my grandmother to make it for me. But she would need a more detailed model and if possible a pattern model.
    That is why I wanted to ask you if you have one and if so, would it be possible to have an overview?
    Thank you in advance!

    Cassou-chan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello I was wondering if I could commission you for a jacket made to my measurements. I am terrible at sewing, however I can do the embroidery work myself as I have had lots of experience in that! :D

    Could you please email me at celestialincendium@gmail.com if you're interested?

    Thank you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your interest, but at the moment I am really busy with school since I finish soon and must finish a lot of projects so I don't have enough free time for commissions. Anyway, at the moment I believe I don't have enough sewing knowledge to make cosplays for others yet (my finition is terrible, believe me). I do think I'll end up openning commissions eventually though :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, good to know. Thank you though! You did a very nice job! Hope you get everything sorted out and done for school ~ good luck! :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you!! I'll try my best :)

      Delete
  10. Hellaw c: You're awesome, really.. I was wondering,if you could give me some advice about sewing this jacket, because I really wanna cosplay Aoba, but I have no idea how to sew this jacket... I'd be really grateful.. Here's my e-mail c: molly9778@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering if you could give me some guidance for this jacket. Can you please email me at team.fairytail2619@gmail.com . Also like cassou, I was wondering if you dis have a pattern sketched out, or some form of rudimentary basis?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi hi! I've been wanting to cosplay Aoba, and I'm all for making the jacket, but how much did it cost to make yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I was lucky enough to have this cosplay material paid by the place where I work (since I displayed the cosplay afterwards) but if I remember right it cost around 100-150$ to make. I did buy expensive fabric though, which you don't have to do. Heavy spandex was very expensive (the white stretchy fabric) but you can take something else instead, as long as it is thick and stretchy.

      Delete